Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WYWTD- Trained vs. Tamed

The other day in my Film 190 class, Women Make Movies, we were addressing the issue that men tend to be a dominant figure in cinema for many reasons but one that I found to be interesting was that women are trained to be polite, apologize, and more considerate towards others than themselves. For that reason, women have a tendency to be less forceful than a man in the industry, although this does not apply to all women. This is where I got my idea for this blog post. What I got from this discussion was that women were trained, from childhood, to not be dominant, rather they should be polite and considerate of all those around them. I wondered if this “training” could be applied to our reactions because if our actions have been trained then our reactions must have been trained as well. But this thought lead me to another question, have our actions been trained or training another form of taming your actions? So, for this week and the next, I plan on observing women's reactions and their interactions in the work and school environment but focusing in on their reactions in comparison to men's reactions.

No comments: