Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WYWTD- Embarrassment

In a few posts back, I mentioned that public image was a reason why many people don't act a certain way or say a particular thing. As I keep trying to find new reasons, I seem to find embarrassment as a very prime reason. At first I wanted to tie in embarrassment in with public image, but although they seem very similar I am slowly understanding their differences.

The other day in class I arrived early and was just waiting for it to start. This girl sits in front of me and was talking very loudly on the phone. This really annoyed me because even though class had not started yet, it is an unsaid (sometimes even said) rule to not talk on the phone in class. Anyways, she was talking about some glasses that her mom bought her that she would not get caught wearing. It did not seem like she was embarrassed but she seemed more snobbish and spoiled. That was dealt with public image.

Embarrassment seems to deal more with not wanting to do something because they are self conscious. So when I mentioned in my previous post that my friends did not want to dance because they cared about their public image, that was not worded correctly. Their reason was that they were embarrassed and self conscious, they were not concerned with public image. That's all, I just wanted to make that clarification. So add embarrassment on the list too!

No comments: