Saturday, February 7, 2009

WYWTD- Superiority

Last night I went to my Aunt Tessa's 51st birthday dinner. It was a "Girls Only" dinner and my aunts, cousins, family friends, and my mom attended. The "of age" members of the event decided to take a round of shots and the under age members, such as my cousin Lisa and myself, just watched as they enjoyed round after round. Then, our oldest cousin Adena, offered Lisa and me a shot. I declined because I don't like drinking in front of my mom and for some reason, I find it disrespectful to her even though she knows I party hard. My cousin however, accepted with no hesitation but realized that her mom (the birthday girl) was watching her. Her mom is strict and I don't know why Lisa choose to say yes but she did and now she was under careful observation from her mom. As Lisa was about to take the shot she caught that her mom was getting angry. As a result, she said that she didn't want to anymore since she "doesn't drink that often." My Aunt was still angry and took a few more shots but we all left the restaurant on a happy note. I drove back to my aunt's house with Lisa and on the way back I asked her what restrained her from taking that shot, even though it was pretty obvious. Lisa said that she she could tell that her mom did not want her to and if she had taken that shot, she would have been in trouble. We continued talking about the issue and eventually came to the point that there are many things we wish to do but people like parents and bosses hold a power and those under this must abide by certain rules if they did not want to see the consequences.

Reason 6 Superiority and Consequences.

No comments: